Canada is one of the most popular destinations for investor immigrants wishing to relocate. It consistently ranks high on major comparative surveys of industrialized nations. Other of the country’s key benefits include the following:
- G8 and NAFTA member.
- Unspoiled environment with strict environmental controls.
- World-class health care system, one of the best in the world.
- Excellent education system, one of the most respected in the world.
- Cultural, ethnic and religious tolerance rooted in the Constitution.
- One of the safest countries to live in, offering a high quality of life.
- One of the most valued passports for international travel.
The Quebec Immigrant Investor Program was established in 1986. The program is designed to allow business people and their families to enter the province of Quebec as permanent residents on an unconditional basis. In return, funding made available through the program helps provide grants in support of small and medium businesses in Quebec. The program has undergone significant transformation in the past couple of years, addressing the application process.
To qualify for residency or citizenship, applicants must fulfill one of the investment options below in addition to meeting the following criteria:
- Demonstrate business experience.
- Have a net worth of at least CA$2 million.
- Provide documents supporting the source and origin of invested funds.
- Settle in the province of Quebec.
Applicants choosing this option must invest a minimum of CA$1,200,000 in a government-guaranteed investment and hold it for a period of five years. At the end of this period, the guaranteed full amount is returned to the investor without ensued interest. The program provides for full investment or financing through authorized financial institutions. Arton Investments is such a financial institution duly recognized by the Immigration Authorities of Quebec (MIDI) and Investissement Quebec (IQ).
Under this option investors pay a reduced amount that is used to finance a CA$1,200,000 closed 62-month term loan from a chartered bank. This loan is initiated and repaid at no further cost and without additional guarantees from the applicant.
Investors and their family members who have lived in Canada for three out of the four years (1,095 days) preceding the application, have satisfactory knowledge of English and/or French, have no criminal record, and have acquired knowledge of the rights and responsibilities of citizenship, as well as an understanding of Canada’s history, values, institutions and symbols are eligible to apply for citizenship.